From magazines to movies, great abs are everywhere, and like most other males on the planet I’ve wanted to know exactly how to get a six-pack for as long as I could remember. I had gotten close on previous half-hearted attempts, but never quite there. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought the six-pack was reserved for Olympic athletes, A-list movie stars, and the guys from 300.
Like any goal, the answer will vary broadly depending on your own personal goals and ambitions. So is it worth it?
Six-Pack Abs Are NOT Worth It If:
· You simply don’t want to have to put in the work to get a six-pack. The journey takes a lot of dedication, and if you don’t want to work at it, it definitely won’t be worth it.
· You’re a performance athlete and have an upcoming performance event. While six-pack abs might make you look good for it, you won’t necessarily perform better because you have them.
· You could care less about the aesthetic appeal. Six-pack abs are purely a vanity metric, not a measurement of overall health or fitness. In fact, sometimes to get six-pack abs you’re going to have to do some things that are uncomfortable and borderline unhealthy (especially the last few days before the photo shoot). If you could care less about the aesthetic appeal, then getting a six-pack is probably not worth it.
· The idea of a “six-pack personal challenge” has no appeal to you by itself. Some people like challenges and the idea of one is enough to go and do crazy things. If this isn’t you, then it might not be worth it.
Six-Pack Abs Are DEFINITELY Worth It If:
· You enjoy the challenge. Six-pack abs are really hard to achieve and unless you’re a genetic freak, it’s a tough challenge, both physically and mentally. It’s a challenge that gives you an excuse to do stuff you’ve never done before. If you’re looking for a tough challenge, getting six-pack abs is a great one.
· You need a goal to help get you disciplined. There’s nothing like a deadline with a consequence to get your butt in gear and get disciplined. You’ll create a few hyper-disciplined habits throughout the challenge. Once you get there, you can be less restrictive and still maintain your overall fitness level.
· You want to look really good naked. Six-pack abs are a vanity metric sure, but there’s nothing wrong with that. In fact, six-pack abs make for a great photo shoot. But, even after the shoot, you’ll be able to maintain most of your physique by implementing just 80% of what you did throughout your transformation.